Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Cake Decorating Class and Hunt for the Best Chocolate Chip Cookie

So I had my first cake decorating class for beginners last night. I learned a lot! Even after searching for cake baking tips online, I had not heard of some of the stuff I learned last night. First off, I learned that you can buy strips that you soak in water and wrap around the outside of your pan and it helps bake your cake evenly. She said that it won't even get that little dome on top of the cake if you use the strips. Also she recommended a product to grease your pan with and it helps release the cake from the pan without problems. She said after using it she will never go back to spray butter or crisco again. I will try it once I get the money to buy it and see if it lives up to her word. :) We also talked about making icing. I never knew this, but there are other extracts you can use in place of vanilla extract. I never knew this! I told Gary and he knew, but for some reason I have never heard of this. She said she likes using an extract called buttery dough or something like that. She said she also likes one called Princess, which is a unique but delicious flavor that is hard to describe.
Next week we are to make an 8 or 9 in cake and bring it to class and we are going to icing it. We are supposed to make our own icing also, which I normally do anyway.
On another note...I'm in search of the best chocolate chip cookie :) I have 3 or 4 recipes for chocolate chip cookies so I am going to make them all (in small batches) and test one from each batch to find the one I like the best.  Two of the recipes I have never tried before. I will be doing this tomorrow. I had to make the one batter today because it needs to sit in the fridge for 24 hours. Here is to hoping that I find one delicious recipe!



No comments:

Post a Comment