Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Hunger Games Movie Night with Hunger Games Themed DInner and Dessert!

So Gary and I are a bit nerdy and I am not ashamed to admit it! Sometimes it is nice to be a kid at heart and not act "mature" all the time. One should try to make life fun when one can because life itself brings many troubles and problems on its own!
Last night we decided to watch Hunger Games again and this time eat a themed meal with it! On Pinterest I found a recipe for Peeta's cheese stuffed rolls, and a recipe for an apple tart. The main meal was harder to find since in the book they speak of eating squirrle, rabbit, lamb, or a huge pig roast. We decided to go with sausage since it was the easiest and quickest thing to make that was part of a pig. :) 
There is a funny story that goes along with those cheese stuffed rolls. Gary was measuring out the ingredients while I was mixing them together. When we added the flour we couldn't understand why the mixture wasn't thickening and becoming dough like. The recipe said we should start Kneading after the flour was added, but ours was still in liquid form. After much mixing and still nothing, Gary finally mentions "this is flour, right?" and points to the clear container that I have powdered sugar in. So yes, we tried making our bread with powdered sugar the first time around :)



Thin French Apple Tart



For those of you who don't know we named our two cats after Hunger Games characters. We have a Katniss and her sister Prim Rose...Here is a picture of Primrose checking out Peeta's cheese stuffed rolls. Katniss came over later to check out Peeta's rolls but I didn't get a picture.

Here is the recipe for the Thin French Apple Tart:

  • 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (I made a homemade pie crust but this is what the original called for)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 pounds Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced ( I only used two)
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 425°.
  2. Place dough on a lightly floured surface; roll into a 12-inch circle. Place on a 12-inch pizza pan. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar mixture over dough. Arrange apple slices spokelike on top of dough, working from outside edge of dough to the center. Sprinkle apple slices with remaining sugar mixture. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes. (I only needed mine in 25 min)
  3. Combine honey and vanilla in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at high 40 seconds. Brush honey mixture over warm tart. Serve warm.
If you want to make the Homemade pie crust that my mom taught me how to make, Here is the recipe for that:

1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup crisco
pinch of salt
cold water

combine flour, crisco, and salt until crumbly. I just used my hands. Make a well in the middle of the crumbly mixture and pour a little cold water into the center. Mix together until the dough is all wet. If there are any dry parts, take out the wet dough and repeat the process with the water with the dry dough. Try not to Knead too much. Place on floured surface and roll out with a floured rolling pin.
 
Here is the link to the Original recipe:

Link to Peeta's Cheese Stuffed Rolls:









2 comments:

  1. Oh, Gary!!! I can totally see that happening! :)

    Looks delicious! I finally saw the Hunger Games movie this weekend. It was really good. I'd still like to read the books though. I don't usually like to do it backwards, but I'll have to make an exception - too late!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the book was sooo much better than the movie! I actually read them all for the second time last week! :)

    ReplyDelete